Over three years after the major remodel completed, early last month we embarked on the next and final phase of remodeling, which is the landscape. We've been living in a half completed, transitional yard that was awaiting the major project which would be reconfiguring the front, back and side yards.
Earlier this summer, we found a landscape designer that we could work with who didn't charge way too much for the privilege of his or her earned degrees or certifications. She worked with us to put a set of drawings in place from which a contractor could implement the plan. After we had a near final set of plans, we passed them out to some landscape contractors but finally ended up hiring the first one that we had serious discussions with, one who has worked with our designer in the past.
In early September, we got started and the army of workers showed up with their demolition tools, including a Bobcat tractor, and the tear up and cleanup commenced.
As we are now nearing the end of October, we are getting close to being done with the landscape project. And what a change, what an improvement it's made.
You can see all the pictures we've been taking during the process, posted to a Flickr set. There are a lot of pictures, and they may or may not be in chronological order. But be sure to check out the two minute video of a walk through of the yards just as demolition was beginning.
Yes, I've been lax in getting around to posting about it, given the magnitude of the changes we are making, and the cost, in terms of both money and effort. But now that a lot of it is behind us, and we are supervising many final details, I hope to post a little bit more often, relating interesting aspects that should be documented on their own.